This is a 16 foot by 4 foot piece, in situ, I custom-painted specifically for my friends’ flat. I like it being untitled, but I temporarily called it the GAP or “Giant Art Project.” I enjoyed designing and constructing the frames and stretching the canvas, etc. It was a very fulfilling experience to customize something like this for my good friends. They titled it “Blessed Relief.”
The “GAP” in my workshop before delivery.
A fun non-commissioned piece.
The set of All’s Well That Ends Well was a storybook resting on a giant map.
An uncommissioned piece in gouache and pen from a travel magazine picture.
My kids frolicking in the woods.
Some strange sketches.
Baron Gottfried von Muffinstein
Sets for a ballet, 2011
Sketches at an improv show in January 2018.
Sketch at a concert.
This is my version of a page from Sarah Stewart and David Small’s The Gardener.
Sets for Shakespeare’s Richard II. Painted the floor a giant medieval royal family tree.
A sketch of a very beautiful model friend of mine.
Four logos I created.
A wigwam I made with my family in 2016.
This is a poster I made for… guess which Shakespearean play…?
My friends’ home in rural Maine.
… and the pond behind their home.
One of my students while he was taking an exam.
A sculpture I made from a single piece of wire.
A helmet I made for a production of Macbeth. (It’s on a pole as the gold paint is drying.)
A hasty sketch of Aptos, California.
Shutters I made for my house.
A bed I designed and made from scratch. It’s made entirely from 2x4s with four 1x6s for the trim. It breaks down into 8 pieces in five minutes. Easy peasy and pretty cheap. My daughter is currently sleeping on this.
2x4s run something like $5 each. But the bolts and hardware added up. So there are 20 bolts, and with each bolt having two washers and one nut, that’s about $3-4 for each set. Multiply that by 20 bolt sets and that’s 60-80 right there. So the total for the wood was about $100– and about 30-40% of that went to those four trim pieces. Throw in a few brackets and that brings the whole project to around $200. But the sense of satisfaction in creating this practical (and to my mind, beautiful) object from nothing is priceless.
This is from, like, 50,000 years ago– at least it feels like that.